Types and features of epoxy paints
A successful repair is one that has been carefully planned. And if we are talking about the choice of a high-quality coloring agent, then the best will be the one that surely fits beautifully on the surface, and most importantly, it will keep a fresh look for a long time. At the moment, the choice of different types of dyes is quite wide. Epoxy paints will take a certain place in it.
Brief description of LMB.
Epoxy types are based on resin, and most people are interested in what the epoxy itself is.
It turns out that when translated from Greek, such a word will mean "sour". In other words, epoxy paints and varnishes can be called oxidizing agents.
Epoxy is an excellent option if you need a really tough coating that can withstand any negative influences, even chemical ones.
Please note that this will prove a fairly wide range of use for this type of dye - for outdoor finishes in places with terrible climatic conditions, for various types of equipment and using high temperatures.
Naturally, if you cover the floor covering with such a paint and varnish material, it will last much longer than after coating with other types of coloring substances, and wall surfaces can withstand the effects of extremely caustic detergents. This type of color is perfect for painting concrete, metal and a huge number of other substrates. Roughly speaking, only one composition can easily handle huge rooms. This will greatly simplify the workflow, because there will be no need to buy different solutions, and thereby stretch the work for a long time - epoxy paints and varnishes fit perfectly on any kind of substrate.
Moreover, it will have other types of dignity:
- Epoxy dyes are sufficiently resistant to chemical aggressive influences, they will not turn yellow after some -that time, but before applying it, you should definitely prepare the base - degrease, clean and dry.
- This type of paint and varnish material has an excellent property - it is quite resistant to atmospheric phenomena, which means that it can safely cover surfaces in open space, walls, roofs, and you can also paint metal joints.
- Most people believe that the main advantage is that it can be used to paint fresh and not completely dry concrete. When carrying out work that needs to be done exactly on time, this advantage is very useful.
- Epoxy paints and varnishes are waterproof, which makes it suitable for painting bathrooms and other areas with high humidity.
- The coloring composition has electrical insulating qualities, as well as high thermal stability and fire resistance.
- Epoxy paint and varnish material is able to recover on its own (under a huge load, its film can bend, but after it returns to its original position).
- In addition to all of the above, epoxy will not allow bacteria to multiply, and it is also able to perfectly protect the surface from corrosion, and wooden surfaces from decay. The dye is not able to penetrate the surfaces of insect pests.
But there are also disadvantages of epoxy-based paint:
Next, consider the composition and its features.
As mentioned earlier, the epoxy paint composition contains resin.
That is why it is strong enough. But there are other components that must necessarily comply with GOST:
Epoxy paints and varnishes can be divided into several varieties:
Two-component paints and varnishes are considered the most popular in the application.
In addition to industrial-type enterprises, it is quite often used at home. It is made of two components and must be thoroughly mixed before starting work. Aerosol paint can be considered the most resistant and corrosion resistant. She is also easily able to withstand the effects of an aggressive environment, and also for atmospheric influences. This paint has an excellent distinctive ability - it is able to clean itself.
Any base will be much more resistant to scratches after spray painting, it will also give the surface a glossy beautiful appearance.
Powder paints are still used more on an industrial scale, because they have very excellent characteristics. At home, it is rarely used, because heating chambers are needed to solidify the coating. These types of dyes can be divided into a couple of subspecies:
Such coloring compositions have a rather low cost, and at the same time they have low qualities of resistance to abrasion, but they are very resistant to ultraviolet rays and high temperatures.
Now about the use of paints and varnishes.
The following types of substrates can be coated with epoxy:
- Baths, tiles and ceramics.
Let's look at several areas of application. Epoxy paint is one of the best materials for painting concrete. It is he who is a sufficiently strong and reliable basis, and moreover, it is completely unstable to certain external types of exposure, such as moisture, chemical components and others.
Epoxy paints for concrete floors are made of two components; before application, such components should be diluted in the required proportion. After curing, the paint and varnish material will create a very strong film on the surface, which will perfectly protect the screed from external factors, and will also eliminate flaws from the surface, and at the same time give it a beautiful, externally decorative look.
Epoxy has a two-component anti-corrosion enamel, and therefore it is an ideal option for metal and even reinforced concrete structures. The paint is capable of forming an impact-resistant thick layer that is resistant to chemical hazards. It is quite possible for it to paint unprepared surfaces, as well as rust without preliminary priming.
Most often, maters recommend using epoxy paints and varnishes in order to cover ceramic tiles and bathtubs, because they create a very durable coating. In addition, the paint will be waterproof - the enamel will adhere perfectly to the substrate and protect it from moisture. It dries out quickly enough. And yet, before starting staining, the treated surface should be carefully primed.
If you need to paint plastics, for example, fiberglass or even carbon fiber reinforced plastic, it is still recommended to use such paints on such bases, because they have excellent adhesion properties.
The colorant can be used as a primary material on most types of plastics.But here it should be borne in mind that epoxy layers are not elastic at all, and a plasticizer cannot be used with them. Such paints are perfect for plastered surfaces, and their advantage lies in the fact that they can be used to cover the surface of the walls without much preparation. They perfectly protect the base, and also perfectly fix the layer of plaster. Moreover, again, one should take into account the fact that the paint and varnish material dries out rather quickly, and 3-4 hours are enough for it, but still, the final drying occurs no earlier than in a week.
In order to choose the right epoxy paints and varnishes, certain points should be taken into account:
And the main thing is how to apply the material.
If you calculate the coverage correctly, then you can choose the right tools for quality work.
If the coverage area is large enough, then a roller will be convenient for work. With this tool, you can apply paint evenly without dripping. For a surface with a small area, as well as for painting small-sized parts, it is better to use a brush.
Before applying epoxy paint, there are some rules to follow to ensure your work is of high quality:
Surfaces can be cleaned with detergents or solvents.
Many paints and varnishes, including epoxy ones, can cause skin burns, allergies, and also make breathing difficult.
For this reason, certain safety rules should be observed when working:
- In no case should you use dishes that are intended for food products.
- Handle epoxy-type paints with gloves and special clothing. And when sanding a cured surface, a respirator and goggles are required.
- Store epoxy paints and varnishes in a closed container, and the storage temperature should not exceed +41 degrees.
The shelf life is no more than 1 year.
- If suddenly epoxy paints come into contact with the skin, it is required to immediately wash it off with cool soapy water or wipe the area of contact with the paint and varnish material with denatured alcohol.
- Work with epoxy-based paints in a ventilated room.
To learn how to paint floors in a garage with epoxy material, watch the following video.
Posted By: Work Style |10, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |08, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |03, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |05, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |05, Nov 2020