Do-it-yourself beautiful threshold to the balcony. We offer for consideration 4 options for carrying out work, and each of them was able to prove that all are reliable, and you only have to choose one, the one that is best suited for your design. The surrounding interior is also worth considering, and if you have a wooden finish, then making a threshold to the balcony from a windowsill with your own hands will be at least awkward.
Read more in our article.
Method # 1 - creating a threshold from bricks
This option is used quite often, since in Soviet times there were no simple solutions - if everyone used bricks, then it was considered correct.
This is exactly how all the developers reasoned, and therefore they made the threshold to the balcony from this material.
But at the moment this solution is used most often, since it is optimal in such cases:
Please note, that the use of such an option for performing work is possible if the front is at least a few cm larger than the height of the brick. After that, you will need to align surface, and then finish it, and if suddenly the height is not enough, then the threshold may become even higher than the door frame.
To complete the work you will need the following:
- Brick. Most often, a few pieces are enough, and most people recommend using silicate bricks, but according to experts, other types of building material are no worse.
The strength of any of the types will be enough, and they will be able to withstand a load much more than a person's weight.
- Masonry mortar. Although you can do everything the old fashioned way and buy cement, find sand and mix the solution with your own hands, but it will be much easier to buy a bag of a professional and ready-made composition, which will only have to be diluted with water in the right proportion and used for your own purposes. The price for a bag, which will weigh 25 kg, will be about 300 rubles, and this will be quite enough.
- Perforated corner.
You will need a piece to align the corner, but such corners are sold only in pieces, 250-300 cm in size, so you need to buy a whole one. The cost of the product is not that high, so you won't lose much.
- Primer. With this solution, you can pre-treat the surface if it is loose. The soil can also be applied to the finished surface after the masonry mortar has dried, and this is required to strengthen the surface, since thanks to this treatment, sand will cease to be taken from it, and the absorbency will decrease significantly.
Please note, that for quick drying of the solution, approximately 10 to 15% gypsum can be added to it, but it is no longer required. If you add more, you have to work very quickly, and there is a huge chance that it will freeze faster than you can work it out.
Yes, masonry mortar really helps make life easier. Also, you cannot do without tools:
Now let's look at the instructions for making a threshold on the balcony with our own hands:
- First, clean the surface of dust and debris, and if there are influxes from mortar, protrusions and protruding areas, you should remove them. Try to prepare the surface perfectly, and the smoother it is, the easier the work will be.
If there are foam build-ups, you should carefully and evenly cut them off with a sharp construction knife.
- After that, start making the masonry mortar, dilute the finished mixture with water in the right proportion, as indicated on the package. All work is simple, and the main thing is to mix everything well so that unmixed and uneven areas do not remain in the mass.
- Now we put the mortar under the base of the brick, and then we spread it on the end side so that the joints are filled with cement. The laying should be done in one layer, and therefore the work will not be difficult - lay an even layer and lightly press all the elements.
- If necessary, beat off the brick to the required size, here we look at the situation. The surface should be covered with a layer of mortar, put a piece of metal corner on a corner, level everything with a spatula to get the best result. When the surface is dry, you can slightly wet it and level it with a foam trowel, and then the surface will be perfectly flat.
At this point, the process can be considered completed, the threshold is ready, and we will talk about the methods of finishing the brick threshold at the end of the article.
Method # 2 - filling the nut with mortar
This type of structure differs in many respects from the first method.
This is the case when you need to raise the level, but the height is less than the size of the brick. Ideal to raise the plane, the easiest and fastest.
For work you will need:
- Sand-cement mixture, grade M-150, since it is most convenient for her to fill the screed, and the price is affordable - about 150 rubles for a bag of mixture weighing 50 kg.
- To make a screed, a board of the required height with a thickness of 2.5 cm is needed, and its length should be slightly larger than the width of the opening into which the sill will be poured.
From the tools, you will need a container to mix the mortar, a trowel to level the end and a spatula to apply the mixture.
In more detail, the technology for creating a beautiful threshold on the balcony with your own hands is as follows:
First, clean the surface of the base from various dirt, and also cut off the foam if it sticks out on the sides. It is not required to beat off the protruding areas, and if the surface crumbles heavily, then walk over it with a primer solution.
- After that, install the formwork, for this, the board should simply be pressed against the wall more tightly and fixed with any heavy object - a bag with a mixture, a tile, and so on.
- The solution should be prepared exactly as indicated on the package, in fact, and the consistency is not so important, but do not add a lot of water, otherwise the mixture will be very thin.
- If the mortar will be filled with a thick layer, then broken bricks, stones, concrete chips or gravel should be placed in the cavity. You should not make the layer above the level of the future threshold, so if the fill thickness is small, then you can not use the filler.
- Pour the solution carefully so that it fills the entire volume well and obtains the required level. The surface should be leveled with a spatula, and it can also remove excess composition, if any.
- When the surface dries up after a couple of hours, it should be moistened and rubbed with a grater, and then you will have a flat surface, the side adjacent to the board will turn out to be smooth.
We propose to consider the third way.
Method # 3 - a threshold made from a plastic window sill
This option is good because it is simple and cheap. But there is one nuance here - if the window sill for making the nut is of poor quality, then soon it will break under someone's weight, and all the work will need to be done on a new one. If you immediately buy good-quality material, such problems will not arise. The threshold made of plastic on the balcony will look very nice and neat.
To work, you will need the following:
- A plastic window sill with the width and length parameters you need.
- Construction foam for gluing elements.
- Sealant for filling gaps in joints.
- Stopping blocks (if required).
- Side face end plates.
Do-it-yourself plastic threshold to the balcony:
The base is cleaned of dirt and dust, and excess foam is cut off.
- Carry out measurements of the opening, and then cut out the window sill according to the required profile. It is better not to cut a lot at once, but to fit the element as accurately as possible, mistakes are undesirable.
- The element is used when it is necessary to determine to what height it should be raised, and if the differences are small, then it is possible to "plant" the threshold on foam, but if the height is more than 10 mm, then it is better to put blocks under the structure for an emphasis or plastic plates at the correct level.
- After that, apply an even layer of polyurethane foam, but there should not be much of it, since during the polymerization process it will begin to expand and may even lift the overall structure.
The threshold should be carefully glued to the surface and pressed with a load so that it is held in one position.
- When the foam hardens, inspect the structure, and if there are gaps at the joints, seal them with silicone sealant, which can protect the space from moisture penetration under the threshold. The ends should be covered with special plugs
At this, the work can be considered finished. There are often tips to screw the threshold onto self-tapping screws, but this is stupid, since there is nowhere to screw the hardware, and concrete is far from the best foundation for this. In addition, the strength of the fastening without self-tapping screws will not be in doubt.
Method # 4 - making a threshold from wood
This option is excellent if it matches the general setting, that is, you have a wooden finish or the room is made in a rustic style and other similar directions.
For work you will need:
- Boards or other elements of wood to create a threshold.
- Several bars to make the base under the threshold.
We suggest you figure out how to install a wooden threshold on a balcony:
First, we clean the surface, remove all unnecessary things.
- Next, we make a frame, which will be made of bars of the required height, and if necessary, you can hang them up, or put slats to get a flat plane at the required level.
- Using a punch, drill holes in the base and the block, and then insert the dowels of the required length into them and hammer in the screws to fix the structure. You should get a solid and level foundation for the future threshold.
- Next, we begin laying the board for the threshold, and it can be fixed around the entire perimeter using self-tapping screws or studs.In the future, all joints will be closed with a piece of wood and no fasteners will be visible. It will be easiest to glue the corners on liquid nails.
- There is an option of assembling a threshold on the balcony with your own hands from the lining, and for this the material must be cut into pieces and attached to the grooves. After the installation is completed, glue or nail the outer corner with finishing nails.
Yes, wood needs additional protection against moisture and abrasion, so the surface should be treated with an antiseptic, and then paint / varnish on top, which is at your discretion. Compositions must be durable, so the threshold will have to be painted at least 2 times.
Of the options considered by yours, two give an excellent end result, and two remain a base on which you still need to lay the coating.
Let's figure out how to finish the threshold on the balcony. The first option would be to use ceramic tiles, since the material is highly durable and resistant to wear, which means it is ideal for achieving the goal.
The work is as follows:
- Since the plane is already ready and primed, you can immediately take measurements to calculate how the tile will be located. It must necessarily lie symmetrically, and then the drawing will be beautiful and even.
- Cut the ceramics using an electric grinder with concrete discs or a tile cutter.
Measure carefully so that the elements lie flat.
- The laying of the material should be done on a special adhesive, which is applied with a notched trowel. To make the seams the same size, you should insert crosses into them. Check the level of the plane with a building level, as everything should be perfectly level.
- You can also tile the walls under the threshold, here only you decide what and how.
For strength, you can insert a special element into the corner joint, but this is not necessary if the joints are already even. If done carefully, the threshold will be perfect.
Please note that for the threshold, choose a tile that has a textured surface, since it is very easy to slip on smooth ceramics.
After the adhesive has hardened, remove the excess, and fill the joints with a joint, which will make the threshold look much better and will help protect the base from water ingress. You can lay out the threshold from pieces of slabs, which also looks interesting.
Another finishing option is a laminate threshold, and this method is quite simple to manufacture, therefore it has become very popular:
- Take measurements, cut the desired the size of a piece of laminate, usually one strip is enough, all the more so that they are of different widths and you can always choose what suits you perfectly.You can also cut the material with a hacksaw for wood, which has small teeth, or with a hacksaw for metal, but if you have an electric jigsaw, the process will become much easier.
- The finished piece should be tried on, and if everything fits, then apply a layer of liquid nails to the back side, and then press the element more tightly to the surface. With proper use of the composition, everything will work out.
- At the end, attach a corner to a step that is sold in a hardware store, and you only need to take a piece of the required width.
You can also install a corner on the sill, which has an anti-slip strip. Another interesting solution is finishing the threshold on the balcony with linoleum. Such material differs in that it is inexpensive, and buying a piece of material from waste will cost you a penny at all.
Do-it-yourself work on finishing the threshold on the balcony:
- Attach a piece of material to the surface, and then mark it with lines along which the cut is made, and try to cut the material as carefully as possible so that the joints do not turn out to be defective.
- After that, the base should be lubricated with an adhesive specially designed for linoleum, and the material should be pressed in place of its position, aligned and pressed better for good adhesion to the surface, and also pay special attention to the joints.
- A metal corner should be attached at the very end, which will strengthen the ledge and prevent damage to the material in this mass.
The threshold for the balcony should not only be safe and reliable, but also beautiful, so you should definitely use one of described above methods to create a structure. The video in the article will give you an opportunity to better understand all the nuances, and if something is not clear, you can always ask questions in the form under the article