Recently, the owners of country houses, of a special frame type, are installing adjustable floors on logs in their homes. The essence of the system lies in the fact that the floor covering can be adjusted using special mechanical devices.
Adjustable set floors can be ordered from a hardware store, but then you have to use the services of a sizing specialist, which means high costs.
Benefits of adjustable floors
- Light weight suitable for installation in any type of home, heavy or light, with a support weight of 2.5 tonnes per square meter.
The structure raises the floor to a height of 5-20 cm, depending on the bolts used and the dimensions of the log.
- If the base of the floor is uneven or of poor quality - the device of an adjustable floor quickly and efficiently solves this problem. You can fix the structure on any surface - concrete or wood.
- It is possible to place communications , which cannot be achieved in any way if the floor is poured with concrete.
- Any floor covering can be laid on the adjustable floor.
- Quick setup, about 1-2 days.
- Cleanliness during work , no dust from concrete or sand.
- Low cost even in comparison with conventional cement screed.
There are two types of adjustable floor: on logs and slabs.
Logs are wooden parallel bars 50x50 cm in size.
This method ensures tight adhesion of the floor to the structure and is suitable for old houses with high ceilings, as well as in those cases where it is required additional wiring of communications.
The second type is wooden slabs fixed with polymer bolts that adjust the floor height. The height from which such a floor can be raised is no more than 5 cm.
Technology for installing an adjustable floor
The technology is quite simple and easy to do with your own hands.
- First you need to purchase materials and prepare the necessary tools for work:
- dowel-nails or self-tapping screws;
- laser level;
- polymer bolts;
- Think over the layout of communications.
- If you have chosen the construction of an adjustable floor on logs, in accordance with the project we drill holes in the bars at a distance of 50 cm from each other and screw in the bolts by hand. The drill can be with a widened tip, and the holes need to be made slightly smaller than the bolts.
- Use the special drill bit ,
to finally install all the bolts in the joists.
- Leave a distance of 1 cm from the wall for ventilation and install our structure on the floor. If you plan to finish the floor in the form of tiles, then the distance between the logs must be reduced. Usually it is 30 cm.
- With the help of self-tapping screws or dowel-nails, the structure is fixed to the ceiling. The drilling depth in concrete must be at least 4 cm. We hammer in the nails properly in order to securely fix the structure to the floor and to avoid squeaks and loosening of the floor during operation.
- Level the floor using a laser device. Using a wrench, we adjust the height of the bolts; after work we cut off protruding bolts with a knife or other suitable tool.
- The final stage: we install the floor covering on the structure of the logs. As a rule, plywood or chipboard is used as a covering on adjustable floors; it is well suited for further floor covering with linoleum, paint, laminate and other materials.
Construction of the adjustable floor at the corners
Adjustable floor on stiletto heels are almost identical to the technology described above, but has a number of features.
An anchor, two nuts and washers, and, accordingly, an M6 hairpin act as an adjustment mechanism for such a floor. The hole in the bar will be equal to the diameter of the stud. After you have drilled similar holes in the floor, we hammer in the anchors and insert the studs, screw the nuts on top of the studs, and leave control washers between them.
For floors without a rigid base, where an anchor cannot be fixed, an adjustable floor can be mounted on corners. Lags are attached to metal corners, which in this version act as a regulating element.
The technology for installing the floor on the corners is as follows:
- We calculate the level of the height of the structure.
- We make floor markings. Logs in the house, we place the quarters at a distance of 30 cm from each other.
- Along the line of installation of the bars, we fix the corners of a given size at a distance of 50 cm.
- In order not to have to cut off excess parts of the corners after leveling the floor, select a corner in height less than the level of the primary coating.
There are cases when adjustable floors cannot be installed in some rooms:
- In houses and apartments with low ceilings;
- In rooms with high humidity;
- Rooms where the doorway is too low to the base of the floor.