How to make a bay window on the roof with your own hands
Bay windows are part of the room , which will go beyond the facade plane. The fashion for such architectural solutions has not disappeared since the Middle Ages.
But making a bay window on the roof is difficult even for an experienced builder, and the main secret of construction is experience and knowledge about the features and types of construction, as well as construction methods.
Let's see how to make a bay window on the roof.
According to external data, a bay window is very similar to a balcony or terrace.
But structurally, it is part of a house with capital-type walls. Depending on the project, it is capable of occupying several floors, having a trapezoid, semicircle, rectangle or other polyhedron at the base.
Bay window roofs have many advantages:
The bay window roofing structure has many advantages, but there are also certain disadvantages:
Let's consider what types of bay window structures are.
A bay window may differ in size and shape, and they can vary in area. Builders and designers can give the bay window almost all possible shapes.
The most popular are:
- Trapezium - the side parts adjoin the facade at different angles, except for the straight one. The center-type window is usually larger than the ones located on the sides.
- Venetian type of bay window, that is, a semicircle. It will give the appearance of the house smooth lines. It looks great both from the street and inside. Turrets located at the corners of the building can be attributed to this type.
- Rectangle - can be made by joining the sides to the facade at an angle of 90 degrees.
The interior has the usual parameters, but it doesn't look so interesting.
- Triangle - Not as popular as other construction varieties. But it all looks very original.
There are also more complex forms of geometry, and they will determine not just the appearance of the building, but also the interior of the room.
Rafter roofing house system with a bay window
The device of the bay window rafter system is made of a ridge beam, and also rafters with different purposes.
How to make a bay window on the roof with your own hands? Since roof slopes can have different angles of inclination, there are several types of rafters, the main ones of which are:
When installing the roof rafter system, the following is additionally mounted:
- Ridge-type purlins - crossbars that are horizontally directed and create support for corner and central rafters.
- Short (that is, external) rafters are structural elements that are attached to the corner rafters and strapping, and also have the same slope.
- Mauerlat is a beam that is attached to the top of the walls from the outside and evenly distributes the rafter load, which serves as a base, that is, a connecting frame link between the walls and the roof.
- A brace is a support for the legs of rafters with large spans, and also makes it possible to cover more spans and at the same time save the sections of the main beams.
Consider how to calculate the total area.
How to calculate the area of a bay window
To measure the area of a bay window, you need to use the following tools:
The main problem when calculating the bay window area will be its complex shape, rounded or beveled. If it is not a triangle or a rectangle, but a more complex polygon, it is important to divide it into several simple shapes. The next steps are:
Let's consider a step-by-step algorithm.
The first stage of the bay window construction process is making a project, as well as planning a form. In certain cases, additional paperwork is required.If you build structures, and this will go in parallel with the house, then there is no need for them.
if an extension of a bay window is made to a building that has been in operation for some time, it is important to amend the project and get a destruction for the extension.
Laying the base
The structure of the foundation for the bay window structure is similar to the base of the building. A monolithic tape is suitable, and there are stages of construction. The foundation is in great need of shrinkage, after which it will be possible to process with materials for waterproofing.
How to build a bay window
If you build a bay window with your own hands, it is not recommended to do everything above one floor with your own hands.
the most suitable materials are aerated concrete or bricks, and the masonry has many features that are important to consider:
We should also talk about the roof above the bay window.
The main rule when applied is that the roof must fit correctly into the main roofing style. In practice, you can find several types of roofing over the bay window.
The simplest version of the roof over the bay window is to make an extension of the roof of the main building. Its shape will depend on how the bay window is made (trapezoidal, semicircular, triangular or rectangular).
Roofing varieties over the bay window
The most popular types of roofs above the bay windows can be distinguished:
- Hip - it is made in buildings with an oblong roof, it has ridge and four slopes, two of them are triangles in shape, and two are trapezoids.
- Hip-roof - used for bay windows with a small area, and also makes the building look like a tower, and also has a large number of faces.
- Multi-gable - a complex roofing structure of a bay window roof with valleys and gables, a type of pitched roof with two or more gables, elements of a gable type with ridge.
- Decorative - it is equipped with additional structures, for example, the same towers.
The main criterion when choosing a type of roof over a bay window is to perform its own functions.Most often, you can meet the roof of a one-story house with a bay window, which is the simplest in terms of construction. It will not require large material and labor costs.
Scheme of the rafter roofing system above the bay window
Dimensions, exact location of each frame element and section - all this is provided by the rafter system scheme.
Moreover, the rafter system drawings include the following characteristics:
The photo shows a diagram of the rafter system on the bay window of the hip roof.
When installing the roof truss system and bay window, the same materials are usually used as for the main roof. In addition, to make the roof of a house with a bay window, the following materials are required:
This beam support, which also makes the masonry much stronger. The belt material will be reinforced mesh and concrete.
The rafters need to be adjusted on the ground, and after lifting they are sewn on the roof ridge using metal plates and self-tapping screws, and also attached to the rafter type beams.
They are attached to the end board, and the joints are also treated with a sealant.
Now there are some useful things for novice craftsmen.
Experienced craftsmen advise you to pay attention to the following points:
- Before the final choice of the size and type of roof Above the bay window, create a smaller 3D model.
- All lumber that is used in the construction of the roof must be treated with an antiseptic.
- The waterproofing film must be at least two layers so that the sealant can be placed close to it.
- The waterproofing film should allow water vapor to pass through as much as possible.
- Valleys should be of galvanized type, because the requirements for their moisture resistance and corrosion resistance are the highest.
Following these tips will help you get things right.
Building a reliable, beautiful roof and bay window with skillful hands will give the whole building a beautiful appearance.
Making a bay window on the roof means increasing the internal area, as well as transforming the premises into more spacious and bright ones. In the designs of the bay window, excellent recreation areas and winter gardens, comfortable rooms for children are created.
Posted By: Work Style |01, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |12, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |02, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |09, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |02, Nov 2020