Installation of a near-window siding strip - video, features, instructions. When cladding a house, as an additional element to create beautiful openings, you can use a near-window siding strip. It is used in some cases and is matched to the width of the slope. Installation of parts requires compliance with some rules, and if they are violated, you will receive deformation of the cladding, which will not have the best effect on the main facade coating.
The window profile is one of the additional elements when using siding, and it is most often used for framing window and doorways (in the second case, it is used less often, for the outer part of the door structure).
The use of the product has some features:
- Installation is carried out only when the width of the slopes is no more than 20 cm (+ - 1-1.5 cm) ... If the opening is located almost at the same level as the outer sheathing, a platband should be installed, if the recess is more than 2 cm, finishing is carried out using soffit or siding.
- In the general scheme of work, it is assumed that the installation of the elements will be carried out at the initial stage, before you start laying the panels. This will make it possible to more accurately calculate the location of the facing material for the facade.
Although it is not difficult to work with such details, if any violations occur, you will get serious problems and have to do it all over again.
Structural features and dimensions
The strip, which is used to fasten around the entire perimeter of the window, has a rather complex configuration, in which each of the sections will perform certain functions ..
. So, you can conditionally divide the profile into several main zones:
Inside wide side that covers the slope. It can be of different sizes, which makes it possible to adjust the degree of undercut. This strip can also be with an even or grooved structure, everything will depend on which of the collections and the decorative effect you choose. It is the wide edge that can be used for fixing with the finishing strip that will frame the window area.
- The narrow outer side, which is a continuation of the previous section and is located just outside the bend. This fragment plays the role of a clypeus, and most often its size is 2 or 2.5 times less than the sloping side.
- J-component (fastener). This is a special U-module, which is required for joining panels and has elongated holes along the outer edge, and also serves for the installation of the near-window siding strip.
Note: the window profile is divided into two types, namely a wide one (slope module, which is more than 16 cm and making it possible to close sections of the window structure up to 20 cm) and small, the width of which is less than 16 cm.
The dimensions of the parts largely depend on the manufacturer, but the most common sizes are:
Products are provided in a wide range of colors. When facing a house with siding, which is made in the form of imitation of wood, the near-window elements must necessarily have a similar structure.
Requirements for the installation of the bar
In order to do the installation and while not getting a bad result, a number of requirements should be taken into account:
Independent depending on which material you choose for the main cladding (metal or vinyl siding), it is imperative to create expansion gaps. The fact is that with temperature drops or simply at high temperatures, the bars will begin to expand.
For this reason, you should not attach the self-tapping screw completely, even if you are using a press washer.
- The screw must be located at right angles and exactly in the center of the fastening hole. We recommend using galvanized self-tapping screws to avoid rusting.
- For correct and accurate installation of the plank, work should be started even when creating the frame base.
- The trimming of parts is necessarily carried out at an angle so that the framing is of high quality.
Cutting of the connecting edges is also carried out so that moisture penetration is excluded. All these steps need to be performed only with a suitable tool - metal scissors.
- We recommend to carry out work with changes in temperature indicators in the direction of increase. This will prevent the appearance of deformation during a thaw.
Please note, that the best solution would be to refuse to buy the cheapest fittings or products whose manufacturer is unknown.
We advise that all products are made by one company.
Preparatory work and calculation
The finishing event includes the following stages of preparing the opening:
- The window should be cleaned of all excess, check the slopes, if there are cracks and crevices, be sure to seal them. Treat with protective compounds against fungi and mold. If you are planning to replace old frames, do so in advance.
Now you need to build a general crate.
- After the framing of the window with the frame is completed, the future location of the low tide should be determined from the outside. To do this, use special additional parts. They will be positioned at a distance from the facade to ensure an even drainage.But you may not use this part, but in this case, in the role of drainage, use a near-window siding strip, which will be installed at a slope. For her, you will need to set up a timber in advance, which will be cut at the desired angle.
- The outer part will also be framed by a wooden strip, which will become the basis for installing the finishing profile. For this, it is better to use parts that are made of wood (preferably hardwood), which also have minimal thermal expansion. But keep in mind that such elements will need to be treated with antiseptic compounds.
When the preparation is completed, it will be necessary to calculate the material for the cladding. Measure the outer and inner perimeter of the opening and the width of the slope.
For this, it will be more advisable to use at least 3 points on each side in order to avoid any distortions during the drop. All parameters should be transferred to the window scheme. Select and buy the best profile option according to the size or adjust the existing one to the required parameters.
Installation and processing
Prepare everything you need to mount the window strip. It is best to mark and trim on level ground.
So, here's a step-by-step installation guide:
- Fixing the finishing profile. It should be placed in the inner perimeter of the opening so that it is adjacent to the frame. For reliability, a beautiful appearance and create a docking at 90 degrees, parts should be trimmed at an angle of 45 degrees. This will be very easy to do if you use a grinder. Each piece should be matched and attached.
- Bottom fit. If you use a window profile as a casting part, then on the strip mark the width of this section of the opening, to which you need to add the width of the outer casing, which should be multiplied by 2. So, if the main side is 80 cm, and the strip for decoration with sides of the "casing" 8, then the trim will be 80 + 8 + 8 = 96 cm. After that, it is required to trim at the bend from both sides. The cut should be 8 cm.
Bend the inner trim along the edges, and then you get a tongue, and then shorten it to 2-2.5 cm. The outer strip should be straight or slightly reduced in the part where there is a corner. If you do not trim all the edges by 45 degrees, then gaps will appear over time.
- Upper part.
Carries out similar work with her. The only difference is that the protruding area at both ends must be trimmed 45 degrees.
- Setting items. Everything is done in turn and in its place. To do this, insert the inner edge into the finishing profile, and fasten it on the outside with self-tapping screws.
- Fitting vertical parts. Take measurements for this. To ensure the bottom fragment is placed at an angle, that is, the parameters will be determined by two points.
- Connecting vertical sections. This point should be especially thought out.
Since the bottom and top members have curvatures designed to allow water to drain, the inside of the strut should only be trimmed to accommodate the measured curvature.
Cropping. Trimming the outer plank is carried out in a slightly different way - the edges should be straight upward (except for small corners with an undercut), and the bottom side should be cut off at an angle of 45 degrees.
- Docking . It is carried out in this way - the vertical stand is slipped under the corner of the upper bar and inserted into the finishing profile so that the tongue is located inside.
A similar procedure should be carried out from below, but the difference is that the corner of the post of the near-window profile for siding is overlapped, thereby overlapping the protruding part of the lower element.
- Installation . It remains to attach the fragments to the screws.
- It will not be superfluous to additionally treat the joints with a sealant.
In order to simplify the work and create aesthetically pleasing joints, it is permissible not to cut the profiles at an angle.
After framing the opening, siding is installed, which will be brought into the section of the J-joint.