Metallic paint - characteristics, features and method of application
Today, many types of paints and varnishes are made , and each of the compositions has its own characteristics and properties.
Metallic paint is one of the most popular and beautiful coloring solutions. This special blend helps to create a very beautiful sheen on the surface of the vehicle. Most often this type of paint and varnish is used for cars, as well as for painting various body parts of personal vehicles.
Recently, this color began to be used not just for the automotive industry, but also for finishing and repair work, both internal and external.
Such a paint and varnish material has certain individual characteristics, which we will talk about in the article.
We suggest considering a list of the main differences in metallic paint from other paints and varnishes:
- One of the components will be aluminum powder, which will make the dye shiny and silver.
- The process of applying standard enamel is quite simple, but applying metallic is much more difficult. They should paint, for example, a car with a uniform and perfect coat. If the coating is uneven, ugly stains may appear.
- Due to the fact that there is aluminum in the composition of the metallic paint, such a composition has a higher resistance to the corrosion process and rusting of the car.
- Other types of paints begin to fade and fade in the sun much faster than metallic.
- A metallized type coating will reflect light much better, and for this reason, the car interior will heat up much less on hot summer days.
- This paint looks much more beautiful than other coloring mixtures.
- The price of paint with aluminum powder is much higher than the cost of standard paints and varnishes.
And now a little about the composition.
The composition of this paint and varnish material consists of the following components:
They help to reliably hold pigment substances on the metal surface. Binders help to make the surface smooth and even.
Consider the types of paints.
There are several types of material, for example, metallic paint in a spray can, but let's take a closer look:
Such solutions can be ready for use (in them the paint is immediately mixed with the varnish composition), or there may be a separate option, that is, varnish and dye separately. Each of these options has its merits, but the split cans help produce a more uniform surface and are considered much better. A ready-to-use spray can be better suited for beginners in the field of coloring.
Acrylic paint has a lot of advantages, among which you can distinguish an excellent adhesion indicator to various types of materials, as well as a large selection of shades. Acrylic metallic materials for painting are safe for human health, because they contain harmful, organic toxic solvents.
You can buy metallic paint for cars in almost every car store. The coloring process will have certain difficulties - the layer should be applied evenly, and even uniformly. If you paint everything correctly, then such surfaces can be used for many years, and it will also be resistant to solar (ultraviolet) rays, mechanical and chemical effects.
Good advice! The most popular method for applying colorants is aerosol cans.
Idea paints can be of different shades:
These paints are made on the basis of organic solvents, and the composition contains metal powders. You can apply this to wood, various metals, glass, ceramics, and stone. Such formulations will create a shiny, durable, protective layer that can inhibit oxidative processes, and also wear. Such paints and varnishes completely dry out from 8 to 10 hours. You can paint everything with a brush or sponge.
To obtain a metallic paint effect, manufacturers have introduced a number of additives into it. Some will be listing and float to the surface after staining. The rest of the additives can be attributed to non-shedding, and do not float yet. Recycled particles made from silicon, aluminum, liquid crystals and aluminum oxide can be added to the first category. Such substances undergo a special type of processing, and therefore the finished coating will receive a granular structure with a characteristic luster of a metallic type.
The most popular are powder dyes that imitate dark and light bronze, gold, copper, silver, and more. Moreover, there are blue, red and gray paints on sale, as well as many others with a metallic sheen.
Powder-type compositions, which include aluminum, are recommended for indoor surface treatment, because such particles of the substance are oxidized under the influence of moisture and other environmental factors. Moreover, to enhance the pearlescent effect, mica is often added to the composition. The thinnest oxide layer of the metal makes it possible to achieve a silvery, iridescent or even colored sheen.
The addition of mica helps to increase the coating's resistance to chemicals, UV radiation, temperature changes and changes in humidity. Powder paint often contains graphite, and it also improves the color of the coating and makes it pleasant to the touch.
Choose the shades responsibly, because each color has special qualities and positive sides:
- White helps to create a pearly radiance effect, and the finish will seem to glow from the inside, so white cars look sophisticated as well as spectacular.
- Black will look very deep and rich. This metallic paint will always look presentable, and this is a strict, classic version.
- Green, blue and red can be categorized as bright colors, and they are also very beautiful in metallic style. In this case, the effect of brightness is maximum.
- Gray shades look restrained, quite solid, and gray cars do not look as bright as silver vehicles.
Now let's talk about how to prepare everything before starting to paint.
Application technology is sometimes very different, depending on what kind of paint you have chosen.
But the preparatory work for the foundation will include the same steps. The more thoroughly you prepare the surface, the better the painted finish will be.
The preparatory stage will include the following actions:
The primer composition will protect the surface from adverse environmental influences, and also enhance the adhesion indicator (adhesion of plastic or metal to paint). The primer should be selected according to the type of substrate. Moreover, the primer should be perfectly combined with paints and varnishes. It is desirable that the primer and paint are from the same manufacturer.
Next, we propose to consider the technology of painting with metallic paint.
It is easiest to paint from aerosol cans. The painting process should be accompanied by smooth and unhurried movements, and the spray nozzle itself should be located at a distance from 0.2 to 0.3 meters from the base. Professionals have ways to apply treatment technology with two-component varnish.
This process includes the following steps:
- First, create the first, that is, the base layer. At this stage, small defects are permissible, because another coating will be applied on top of the layer, which is much more uniform.
- Apply two or even three coats of varnish. The number of coats will depend on the type of varnish and mixture.
Please note that when using this staining technology, overdrying of the base must not be allowed, and this may also lead to a deterioration in the quality of the coating.
If, after the staining process, any defects appear on the surface, for example, striped or round spots, which means that the base was not prepared correctly.Here we can talk about the wrong primer composition, or the spray gun applied the composition unevenly. Moreover, such defects can appear when staining a material that is not dry and wet. You should strictly adhere to the dyeing technology, as otherwise the car will need to be repainted.
Posted By: Work Style |11, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |01, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |08, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |03, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |06, Nov 2020