Plastic countertops for the kitchen: features, technology of creation and how to properly behind them look after
When arranging a kitchen space, most people try to find practical, stylish and budget countertops that are comfortable enough to work with. Plastic products meet these and other requirements, due to which they can be equipped with not only a beautiful, but also a fairly functional working area. Plastic will perfectly "imitate" natural materials, but the cost will be much less.
Consider everything related to plastic kitchen countertops.
Kitchen countertops made of materials such as plastic are linens, for which the facades are made of chipboard or MDF.
HPL or CPL plastic is used as a decorative and protective layer. Different models may have different thicknesses of this finish, which will affect the strength and durability of the canvases. The quality of countertops will mostly be determined by the production technology and the type of plastic used. For example, manufactured products from CPL have weaker performance because they are not resistant to high temperatures and power loads. Surfaces using HPL plastic are more reliable, because they are able to withstand short-term exposure to high temperatures (more than 200 degrees), and in addition, they are distinguished by excellent resistance to mechanical loads.
Work areas in the kitchen that are made on the basis of HPL are more popular with consumers. It is about them that will be discussed further.
To create a tabletop manufacturers use solid canvases that are made of chipboard, and on top it is covered with a special HPL plastic. It is made by pressing kraft paper, which is impregnated with different resins. Despite the fact that the decorative plastic layer is very thin, up to 0.
08 cm, it is capable of providing a high level of strength to the finished product. In order to create kitchen countertops, the manufacturing company most often uses postforming, and this is a special method during which 2 materials are combined (in our case, plastic and chipboard) when exposed to high temperature and pressure. Due to this method, the polymer layer will smoothly "go" on each edge of the surface, and as a result you get a product that has a perfectly smooth surface without any seams.
Most often, manufacturers are engaged in the creation of plastic countertops with two indicators in thickness - these are 2.8 and 3.
8 cm.The characteristics of the two products will be almost the same, but the cost of a surface with a thickness of 3.8 cm will be almost 2 times more expensive.
Please note, that if buyers are interested in the most reliable version of a plastic countertop, then experts often recommend looking at models that are 6 cm thick, and they are made of lightweight chipboard or MDF. On the free sale you can find them not so often - usually such products are created to order.
In terms of the width of the canvas, the dimensions are standard, and almost all slabs will reach a width of 0.6 meters. It is very rare in the construction materials market that you can find options that have an indicator of 0.3, 1 and 1.2 meters, but the length of the finished products of the method varies widely - from 2.
44 to 4.2 meters. If you have a straight kitchen, then it should be equipped with a solid stove and different corner modifications should be made by arranging two different bases.
Advantages and disadvantages
You can buy a plastic tabletop only after you decide for yourself whether this option is right for you or not. Such wood-like products will be distinguished by their democratic cost, thanks to which they can be preferred when arranging a budget kitchen.
On sale you can find products that are capable of imitating different types of wood - from inexpensive to luxury. In addition, such surfaces can be an excellent imitation of granite, marble and other natural stones. In addition, options with different color schemes are popular. The variety of choice makes it possible to purchase plastic products for the kitchen, which will be perfectly combined with different interior styles.
Working plastic areas are resistant to moisture, and due to this feature, they should very well serve the way, despite the level of intensity of use.
In addition, such countertops have other key advantages:
- Resistance to mechanical damage and abrasion . The surface will retain its original appearance, even if it has been previously subjected to shocks, drops of kitchen objects on it and other influences.
- High level of resistance to food acids and water vapor, which are often exposed to the work area in the kitchen.
- Thermal stability - the worktop can perfectly contact with hot dishes, and at the same time it will not deform, and nothing will happen to the surface if you put a frying pan on it for a while, which was just removed from the stove ..
- Durability - a decorative type of kitchen coating, with proper care, is able to maintain its aesthetics for more than one year, and the coating will not fade or fade in the sun, due to which it will continue to delight home owners juicy and bright colors throughout the entire operational period.
But it will be fair to say, that is, not only the advantages, but also certain disadvantages of the plastic coating.The first of these is that if you choose a countertop for wood, you will see that the imitation is bad. When you look at such a kitchen, you will definitely understand that the work surface is not made of natural wood, but of a material that remotely resembles it.
For this reason, such items are unlikely to be chosen by those who are accustomed to preferring luxury. Another disadvantage is the unsuitability for repair work. For example, stone countertops can at least be sanded, because it is this event that will help get rid of scuffs and scratches, and will restore the aesthetics of the surface. If the plastic is damaged, then its only option will be a complete replacement, and then it will already be easier to buy a new countertop.
Another disadvantage is that there is a possibility of moisture getting into the joints.
In this case, the water will begin to contact the chipboard base, which can lead to swelling. The swollen base is capable of deforming the decorative layer, which will require replacement of the countertop. However, most of the noted disadvantages are relative and can be easily avoided if you adhere to the operating rules for a plastic work surface.
Plastic kitchen countertops appear thanks to chipboard boards, which are covered with a layer of multi-colored plastic. Variations that are capable of imitating wood are capable of creating both lighter woods and darker ones.
In addition, manufacturers make the surface glossy or matte, to choose from. In this case, the latter have a slightly rough surface, while the former are distinguished by a beautiful shine.
What exactly to choose is up to you, but before buying, you should take into account certain nuances that will relate specifically to glossy coatings:
Note, that with a matte surface, the case is a little better, because they are much more practical than their "glossy" counterparts. There will be no reflections on such countertops, due to which various dirt and traces of mechanical effects are not very noticeable on them.
So that the plastic countertop really serves faithfully and right for more than one year, and also retains its original qualities in terms of beauty,
you should heed some recommendations from professionals:
- "Centenarians" are products that have seamless ends, and occasionally you can meet surfaces with decorative edges.It is better to refuse to buy them, because during operation moisture begins to get into the joints, which will subsequently lead to flaking and deformation of the facade slab.
- If there is a choice of products with different layer thicknesses, it will be more expedient to buy an option with a large parameter, and such products are usually of Italian and German origin.
- When choosing a countertop, always pay attention to the stylistic performance and shade, because the product must be combined with the kitchen space or even be in harmony with pieces of furniture, as well as accessories, for example, with wallpaper / curtains / laminate. We also note the fact that light shades will be preferable to dark ones, because splashes of water, grease drops and other types of dirt are not so visible on them.
- Before you buy a countertop, you should ask the seller for quality certificates for the products they sell. This way you can minimize the risks of buying a low-quality product that does not meet the manufacturer's specifications.
In order for your countertop surface to last as long as possible, you must adhere to certain rules regarding use:
These easy-to-implement rules will help you maintain the perfect appearance of your working area for years to come.
As time and feedback from users of plastic countertops have shown, such a table cover is interesting for those people who want to buy a similar product for their kitchen ...
According to reviews, most people did not wish about their choice, and even noted the fact that a plastic surface is a very affordable way to decorate a kitchen with taste and functionality.
Among the advantages, users noted:
But from the shortcomings, they identified a small palette of ready-made solutions (shades), and when ordering the color you need, it may turn out that the cost has increased significantly. In general, buyers leave only positive reviews for plastic countertops, and, in their opinion, this is the best option for those who love to buy goods with the best price-quality ratio.
The choice will depend on what properties are most important for you, in priority. If you need a countertop for many years to come, don't skimp. If you are not afraid of hassle, you do not need to spend money on expensive coverage.From experience, I would like to note that the economy options from the SKIF or OBZ factory can serve faithfully with proper care. Products from "SLOTEX", which are slightly more expensive and also have high quality plastic, will look more aesthetically pleasing than the first two options and last longer with the same care.
How to protect a plastic countertop from water
- Use an aluminum end strip.
- Use a supplied edge that provides an aesthetic appearance but breaks and splits heavily.
- Use of special edges for wood.
- The edge should be acrylic or PVC, but the disadvantage is that it is not possible to match the edge to the color.
- The use of skirting boards and side walls that will protect the end from moisture.
And the main way to protect the countertop is to quickly wipe the water where there is a cut-in or joints, for example, near the sink and the hob.
Posted By: Work Style |12, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |02, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |12, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |05, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |01, Nov 2020