Polyvinyl acetate paint - characteristics, composition, pros and cons
Polyvinyl acetate paints (in short, PVA) are emulsion compositions that are made according to the principle of "oil in clean water". Such paints and varnishes are widely used for painting interior surfaces in industrial and residential premises. PVA paint and varnish compositions of the type can be bought in one of two varieties:
1) Single-pack composition, which is a paint fully ready for use. Paints and varnishes are stored and transported in a hermetically sealed container at a positive temperature.
2) Two-pack composition, which is a semi-finished product, in which there is a paint and varnish material in the form of a paste, as well as a plasticizer.
The composition will be ready by mixing just before use. Let's take a look at the pros and cons.
The advantages of polyvinyl acetate paints include the following:
- Applicability even to the most highly porous types of materials (certain types of wood, cardboard and plaster).
- High drying speed.
- Easy to prepare composition and ease of application to treated surfaces.
- High explosive safety and fire safety.
- Lack of unpleasant odors, because there are no solvents in the composition of polyvinyl acetate paints.
- Non-toxic paintwork materials.
- The presence of additives, despite the limitations of the color palette, due to which it is possible to obtain a glossy or matte surface.
- Competitive product cost.
- An excellent option for painting drywall or other smooth surfaces (all due to its high adhesion ability).
- Water solubility.
- Ability to resist fungal colonies and mold.
- Resistant to ultraviolet radiation.
- The elasticity of the coating formed.
Polyvinyl acetate compositions have many disadvantages:
Now a little about the properties of the tool.
Price per polyvinyl acetate products are low, because there are no complex components in their composition. Polyvinyl acetate agents include the following components:
- Aqueous emulsion based on polyvinyl acetate.
It is a solution with a creamy consistency, and since the emulsion contains water, you do not need to forget about the freezing temperature - zero degrees. The unplasticized type emulsion can withstand no more than 4 cycles of 100% freezing.
- Substances for pigmentation, due to which the paintwork material transfers the color of the surface.
- Stabilizers are components that improve certain performance characteristics from a paint and varnish material.
- Plasticizers are components that regulate the mechanical and physical qualities of the paint and varnish material, and also contribute to the formation of a film coating.
As mentioned earlier, polyvinyl acetate compositions differ in the speed of drying. By the way, water-based formulations dry out in about a couple of hours, provided that the air temperature is + 17…. +24 degrees. The reason for the rapid curing is that the emulsion contains up to 40% water, which will easily evaporate after application to the treated surface. even in the composition of the emulsion includes up to 60% of resins and substances for pigmentation.
If there is a need to reduce the viscosity of the agent, water should be added to it and even vice versa.
During evaporation, resin particles (and their size can range from 1 to 4 microns) first approach each friend, and creates a dense ring around the pigments, and then completely merge with them. The result is a fairly dense mass that is made of resin and pigments. The mass contains extremely small pores through which water will evaporate. The mass has small enough pores through which water will evaporate.
After the dyeing process, the water eventually evaporates and the plasticizers become hard and even hydrophobic.
Once dry, the film will shrink to approximately 60% of its original volume. Since the surface of the film has a lot of pores, it also turns out with a slightly silky and matte sheen. Thanks to this, excellent decorative properties will be transferred to the painted surface.In many cases, subject to the dyeing technique, it is quite possible to replace matte oil coatings with polyvinyl acetate paint.
Suitable tinting can be applied to polyvinyl acetate products. The use of tinting agents is required in accordance with the instructions from the manufacturer.
In order for the paint and varnish material to acquire moisture-protective properties, acrylic components are added to polyvinyl acetate-type water-dispersion compositions. This type of polymer gives the coloring material the following characteristics:
- The surface begins to "breathe" again, to allow air to pass through, but in no case moisture.
- Increases the hydrophobicity of the treated surface.
- The ability to resist negative influences in the external environment increases.
Due to the use of acrylic polymers, the improved composition of the polyvinyl acetate paint can be applied in order to be applied to external facades, as well as for surface treatment in damp rooms (for example, a bathroom or kitchen) ... Special types of additives are used to give the coatings a gloss / matt finish.
Painting with water-based polyvinyl acetate compositions is carried out in the following sequence:
Dilute the water emulsion mass.
It remains to consider a few more nuances.
Polyvinyl acetate paints and varnishes are produced in accordance with the rules that are prescribed in GOST 28196-89. It should be noted that the certification of paints and varnishes for compliance with GOST is at the discretion of the manufacturer. The packaging with the paint and varnish material will indicate the consumption rate, all components, and also the method of making the solution.
The cost per kilogram of paint and varnish material can vary greatly depending on the popularity of additives and the brand. Regional remoteness will also affect the price.
But it is believed that a high-quality polyvinyl acetate composition in any case cannot cost less than the ruble equivalent of a dollar per 1 liter.
Despite the obvious disadvantages listed above, polyvinyl acetate paints and varnishes are in great demand. High drying speed, compatibility with various types of materials, and also affordable cost provide such paints with eternal popularity among buyers.
Posted By: Work Style |04, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |03, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |12, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |13, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |12, Nov 2020