How to glue the cooling radiator - repair methods
Every car has a cooling system. Without it, the vehicle would be very tight due to constant overheating.
This system is a complex mechanism that has a multi-stage structure, and during the execution of work, the cooling system is subjected to high pressure and temperature.
For this and other reasons, the radiator is capable of leaking, and such a situation will not only add discomfort to the lives of drivers, but will also create a danger to internal car structures. Everyone should know how to glue the cooling radiator so that when such a problem arises, they can solve it.
If the cooling radiator starts to leak, you should definitely know what to do or to which craftsmen to contact to fix a similar problem. Constant leakage can lead to aggressive and even the most dangerous situations:
- Engine overheating and its future failure.
- Modifications to the configuration of the cooling system and deterioration of the integrity of the material used as a gasket
- Engine seizure, which can lead to expensive and time-consuming repairs.
- Thermal burns, which may appear when cracks in the radiator break and the heated liquid flows out in the form of fountains.
Why a radiator is required and why its leaks are so dangerous, you have learned, and now it is worth moving on to the main question - to consider methods of eliminating leaks and returning the sealing to the cooling system.
First, you should determine the location of the leaks, and this can be done in several ways:
This method does not require demolition work, which is appreciated by most drivers.
Leaks often appear even on the road, far from home and even a settlement.
It will not be possible to continue driving, and it is not worth it, it is dangerous for drivers and cars. We will tell you how you can repair a car radiator with your own hands using available tools.
- A piece of an old car camera and a clamp makes it possible to temporarily close the leak and drive to the nearest settlement or car accessories store. You can close the leak with rubber, and squeeze it with a clamp.
- Pliers are definitely in every driver's travel kit.
They are required to plug a damaged tube. There should be no more than five such pipes, and otherwise, the cooling will be greatly reduced and the system will not cope with the task assigned to it.
- Sealant is an extremely useful tool that can help out at the most unexpected moment. Sealants can be different and the principle of application can be significantly different. Instructions for use are always indicated on the packaging, and study it to follow the recommendations of the manufacturers.
Let's consider other ways of fixing.
How to glue the plastic cooling radiator, consider further. The methods described above can help to fix small defects and for a short time. All the same, you will need to engage in major repairs, which makes it possible to increase the service life of parts. In addition, sealing the leak must be thorough so that there are no unpleasant situations on the road.
Most cars are equipped with plastic radiators. They are made of a special compound that is highly durable and resistant to workloads. The repair of such parts has some peculiarities, and, if you do not take them into account, that the adhesive composition will not be able to adhere to the treated surface. And yet we have found several methods that will make it possible to glue the heating radiators in the car and provide a high quality result.
We figured out how to seal a plastic radiator for cooling, and now you can proceed to the practical guides.
Depending on the chosen method, the work plan will differ, but in general terms it will look like this:
- Prepare the materials and tools that are needed in further work. The material for gluing, usually these are two-component type compositions, because they make it possible to achieve a high degree of strength, and also sandpaper for treating leaks, gloves, a degreaser (acetone, as a rule) and cotton swabs.
- Places with leaks and the surrounding area are thoroughly cleaned and then degreased.
- Prepare the adhesives according to the manufacturer's advice.
- Apply the prepared compound to the work area, and if the crack is large, then the adhesive will be applied in several stages until a tightness is achieved.
- Wait for the specified time, which it takes for the mixture to harden, and this usually takes 1/4 hour. In the case of epoxy resin, you need to wait a day in order to be a significant drawback of such a material.
- Stiffened surface should be sanded with fine-grained paper.
Now you know how to glue a leaking cooling radiator, we will consider the aluminum version of the tank further. Agree, there is nothing complicated, and therefore it is not at all necessary to contact a specialist with a similar problem.
Do not rush to grab the soldering iron right away - this will all succeed. Before, you should study the scale of the tragedy and choose the most acceptable option for repair work.
Hereinafter, it will be described in detail how to seal the radiators.
If you follow these instructions, even a person without the necessary experience will definitely succeed.
This is due to an oxide film that forms instantly. She can disrupt the entire repair process.
In this case, you need to insert the heated rod inside the damaged tube, and the temperature will make the solder soft, which will make it possible to remove the tube without problems.
Since we are talking about the soldering of radiators, then recommendations should be made regarding such a repair of structures made of brass and copper. To repair these parts, a special soldering iron should be used, which is designed to work with such building materials. The power of such a tool must necessarily be more than 250 W, and the work will be done according to this scheme - the surface still needs to be cleaned and dried, it is important to warm up the material, apply the rosin as evenly as possible, and then apply the solder in an even layer too.
It won't always be advisable to repair a radiator, and in special cases it will be easier and even cheaper to install a new one .
.. But how to understand that this is exactly the situation in front of you and not waste time on recovery? We will help you understand everything.
- Leaks located at the junction of the radiator and the plastic pipe cannot be repaired. Leaks can be removed, but only as a temporary effect, and it is best to use epoxy sealant or glue in such a situation.
- Nothing can be saved from rust, which became the root cause of depressurization. You should not waste time, money and materials on such a radiator. It will be subject to recycling.
- Structural breakdowns due to an accident often cannot be removed, and even if there is a chance of success, the cost of repairs will be high.
All leaks begin with small cracks, and it will be much faster and easier to fix it.
With regular repair work, the radiator can last for a long time and cope well with the duties. Remember that not all defects can be eliminated, and in some extremely advanced cases, parts will need to be replaced.
Posted By: Work Style |05, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |11, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |13, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |03, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |08, Nov 2020