Technical characteristics of Penoplex + photo
Make a country house comfortable for all year long every home owner will strive. comfort will consist of certain components, but for the most part depends on insulation.
One of the most popular materials for insulation on the construction market is Penoplex wall insulation.
This is a tile material, which, although it has almost a century of history, still does not give up its positions, since it has many advantages over other materials.
Let us give you a short history of the appearance of extruded polystyrene foam (the official name of Penoplex) is as follows as follows:
Like most other useful things, the material was originally developed for the needs of the army (in this case, for the US Navy). In that year, The Dow Chemical company received a patent for a new development, but in 1942 it established large-scale supplies. Moisture-resistant material with excellent thermal insulation properties went to the production of boats and life rafts.
- 1952. After the war, the Americans continued to use Penoplex, its use expanded significantly, first in the refrigeration industry, and then for construction.
- 1963. Extruded polystyrene foam began to spread throughout Europe and since that time has occupied a stable niche in the market of insulation products.
- 1998. Extruded polystyrene foam began to be produced in Russia (in the Leningrad region) under the Penoplex trademark and was appreciated by the builders.
Now let's look at the manufacturing technology.
Penoplex, and it is also extruded polystyrene foam, is a related material to simple polystyrene foam, which is known in everyday life as foam plastic. It is made from polystyrene granules, but the technological chain is as follows:
Then we will consider the advantages and disadvantages.
Like every building material, Penoplex has its strengths and weaknesses.
Knowledge of the characteristics of the material makes it possible to use it with the maximum level of efficiency.Positive characteristics include:
By volume 0.5% per month.
This property makes it possible to use the slabs not just as a heater, but also as a building material that is not subject to structural cracking.
In order for penoplex, whose thermal insulation properties are excellent, could bring the expected benefits, it is worth remembering even the disadvantages (and also take them into account):
- Low level of vapor permeability ..
. The indicator will be worse than that of polystyrene, which makes you think about an excellent ventilation system.
- Flammability. It belongs to the class G 3 -G 4 (normally flammable and highly flammable substance).
- Environmentally friendly.
The material is safe for health if it does not have harmful impurities. The existing variety is self-extinguishing polystyrene foam, which is impregnated with a fire retardant and can have an aggressive effect on humans.
- Very low noise isolation.
- Not resistant to ultraviolet rays. It is destroyed by the rays of the sun, needs protection during storage.
- Not resistant to large amounts of organic solvents and other substances. These include gasoline, diesel fuel, oil paints, polyester resins, ethers, aromatic hydrocarbons.
Next, consider the types of insulation.
The manufacturer will produce sheets of foam, the specific density and size of which are indicated on the package and determines the boundaries of the material's use. There are such types of slabs:
With external insulation of non-residential buildings, steam insulation is not needed. In the end, you can carry out plastering on a metal mesh, or cladding with a facade material of your choice (siding, clapboard, ceramic tiles).
Moisture resistant and lightweight slabs with a density of 28 to 33 kg per cubic meter will dock without the formation of cold bridges. The material is very tough to withstand high operational and assembly loads, and it is also equipped with a groove that ensures a tight fit.
Sheets with a density of 25 to 35 kg per cubic meter have an L-shaped edge, due to which they are mounted without problems. Plates for thermal insulation are widely used for private housing construction (including insulation of saunas, baths and swimming pools), as well as for high-quality insulation of apartments (especially balconies and loggias).
There are calculation tables for different regions that determine the choice of foam sheets, and their thickness is a key indicator. Most often, plates with a thickness of 2 to 10 cm are used, and depending on the brand, the length will vary from 1.2 to 2.4 meters, and the width is constantly the same - 0.6 meters.
The number of plates in a package can be from 4 to 18 pieces.
In modern construction outside the city, installation of foam on the wall is carried out in three methods:
- Using adhesive. A universal method that is suitable for insulating a large surface, basement or facade, with further plastering.
- With attachment. If a large load on the insulation layer is not expected, the sheets should be fastened using disc-shaped plastic dowels.
The method is suitable for insulating a loggia or basement.
- With the use of polyurethane foam. The advantage of polyurethane foam - high adhesion (adhesion to the surface) plays an extremely important role in insulating the floor surface, as well as walls and attic floors.
Let's talk about installing plates.
Insulation of the facade - installation of plates on glue
The process of insulating the front of the house looks like this:
If there are mold spots, then they should be treated separately (disinfected with copper sulfate). If necessary, it is important to level and prime the surface.
There is an alternative method if the adhesive is applied to the work surface and this is done in a continuous layer.Each slab will be pressed against the walls and its position should be checked against the level.
The best result will be when using an electric jigsaw, and if a curly sheet is required, a heated tungsten string is often used (this requires skill) or even a thermal cutter. Laser cutting is carried out in a shop environment and makes it possible to obtain precise and accurate details (templates or other decorative elements).
An alternative would be thermal dowels with wide caps, which will be installed in the seam between the sheets and fixed at the same time for several elements.
Something else worth considering.
How not to lose money
If builders and designers do not take into account the physicochemical characteristics of the material, its strength and thermal characteristics will deteriorate long before the end of the operational period, which will lead to decrease in the thermal efficiency of ohm.
The most common mistakes will include the following solutions:
- The use of a material with a density lower than technologically justified. Penoplex, like other polymers, is oxidized by atmospheric oxygen. The oxidation rate (change in chemical structure and deterioration in performance) depends on the density of the material.
The use of plates with the lowest density (after all, many want to save a lot (it worsens the thermal protection of the structure 2-3 times faster, while this is strong in the first 7-10 years of operation.
- The use of incompatible materials. Plates from such expanded polystyrene will be destroyed at an accelerated rate if substances that are dangerous for the foam structure are used during construction (for example, oil-based paints and varnishes containing volatile hydrocarbons).
- Ignorance of the marking features. Inexperienced people who see the words "Mark 25 ", makes a logical conclusion, in his opinion, that inside there are slabs with a density of 25 kg per cubic meter.
But in the technical conditions, this is a material with a density of 15.1 to 25 kg per cubic meter. Certain manufacturers, taking care of maximum profit , supply under this brand the material with the lowest density.The result of the change will quickly appear on the "insulated" facade - mold and damp spots.
- Incorrect insulation.
If the installation of the foam on the wall is done incorrectly, it will leave an air gap between the board material and the wall. The design will become non-uniform, the dew point will move out of the gap. The condensation will be strongly absorbed into the denser material (wall), the thermal efficiency will drop, sometimes even dramatically.
Now you know how not to waste your money.
Each person, investing large sums in the construction of a country house, expects that housing will serve faithfully for decades.
The reliability of the walls and internal comfort are highly dependent on the correct insulation. The component use of the material will make tangible savings in thermal energy (the main goal of any insulation), as well as the family budget.
( 1 grade, average 5 of 5 )
Posted By: Work Style |03, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |03, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |09, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |01, Nov 2020
Posted By: Work Style |03, Nov 2020